Elder Buxton at the Kyiv Temple while on a visa trip

Monday, December 19, 2011

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Wow, this week has been so great! I love this time of year so much! You can't help but think about the family and the roll that they play in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I just want to thank all my family and friends for being sooo supportive and loving. I love you all and hope you have a very Merry Christmas!! And congrats to Wrandi and Tyson on the wedding!
So I have really enjoyed my time in Ekat so far. Responsibilities are different as an assistant but I have really enjoyed it a lot so far. President Rust is a great man and a great example and so is Sister Rust! They are both so loving and caring. We do spend quite a bit of time with President helping him train and help the missionaries. Usually we get to do some teaching when new missionaries come into the country, when we have zone conferences, and other situations like that. We also do a lot of translating. However our most important goal is still to find, teach and baptize. I love my new comp Elder P~. He is a great guy and I'm looking forward to serving with him. This week we had a really great experience. After taking the new missionaries to the office we had to order a taxi. The driver was such a great man. His name is A~ and he said that he has been struggling lately in life, feels down on himself and gets depressed from time to time. I was able to share with him the happiness of our message and how it really helps to know the plan of salvation. I told him that one reason why I am so happy is because I know where I came from, why I'm here and where I'm going after this life. He got really interested and we talked about life the rest of the way to President's house and then set up a meeting for Saturday night. We met with him in a cafe and it was an amazing meeting. He is such a sincere man. We were able to relate to him really well and explain how the gospel will help him. It was one of the most spiritual meetings on my mission and by far the best in a cafe that I have ever had. We knew that he needed to feel God's love and I know that we all felt it really strongly on that meeting. One question that he kept asking really stuck out to me a lot. Even though I have been asked this question many times. He kept asking why we are here, then when we would explain he would say yeah that make sense but how does that help you? We told him that it brings us happiness and joy and tried to explain it as best as we could. After the meeting I pondered that question really deeply and it just so happens that I have been studying the plan of salvation and how it is evidence of God's love for us. So to try to help myself understand a little more I asked myself the question similar to A~'s: Why does God want us to return to him, and what does he get from that? I mean because when we think about it He really doesn't receive anything. He is already all knowing, and all powerful and has all characteristics that we are striving to get. However one of those characteristics is an all perfect love for us. That's why he created the plan for us because we are literally his children. Just like earthly parents make sacrifices for their own children and lose a lot of material things in doing so, they get joy in seeing their children make correct choices and in seeing their children succeed and find joy and happiness. God sent his First Born Son here to earth to atone for each and everyone of us. They did that all because of love. I realized that this is why I do missionary work is because of love for God and for my fellow man. It's such a rewarding feeling to see someone change their life. I love my mission its been so great. It was great to see the change in A~'s countenance after our meeting and we are excited to meet with him on Wednesday. That story sounds a lot better in my head and in my study journal but I hope that it helped you too. So we are going to be pretty busy this week and I don't know when we are going to call but I'll call you and let you know when, if that's okay. I'm so excited. I love you lots. Take care.
Elder Buxton

No comments:

Post a Comment