Elder Buxton at the Kyiv Temple while on a visa trip

Monday, January 23, 2012

1/23/12

In Loving Memory of Gramps Charles Sheldon Taylor,

Grandpa was known for his humor, kind heart and loving service. I can't count the times I saw him lying under our cars fixing stuff, working on our sprinkler system or anything around our house that needed fixing. He always thought of himself last and was always ready to help. He was the best Grandpa in the world and I know that anyone who he held that title to would agree with me. He truly was a best friend to all of his grandchildren and I can especially say that for myself. During hard times in my life Grandpa was always there to lift me up and say just the right words to lift my spirit. He was a great example to all and if it weren't for him we would all be different people than we are today.
I know that a lot of the reason that I am on my mission is thanks to the example and love for the gospel that Grandpa has. When I was young he would make sure to take me to the general priesthood session (even if I did try a little to get out of it) and I'm thankful that he did. He set an example in serving two missions in his lifetime which had a big impact on me and the choice I made to serve. Honestly he was one of the hardest people to say goodbye to when I left. Because I did have the thought that maybe I wouldn't see him again in this life. But when a few months ago he wrote me and told me that he was putting his papers in to serve a mission after hearing the counsel of the prophets, I was so happy to think that his health was good enough and that I would see him again! The news just got better when the next day I went to President Rust's house and he expressed the need for more senior couples and the need for an office couple in our mission. I didn't hesitate one second to proudly say that my Grandpa had just written me and expressed that he wanted to serve a mission. President Rust was also very excited and he called grandpa and asked him to serve here in Russia with us. I was so excited at the thought of being able to serve along the side of my good ol' gramps. Unfortunately the doctors said that his health wasn't good enough and that they weren't going to send him over seas. Just like stubborn old Grandpa would, he wrote me and told me that he didn't need any doctor to tell him what he could and couldn't do and that he had enough faith and that he was going to come anyways. He always had a way of getting around things and not listening to doctors, so he just did it his own way.
After completing his final mission papers, he received his calling on Jan 20 to serve the Lord on the other side of the veil. Honestly, I have never felt so close to him. I know that he is one of the angels helping me out here on my mission and that he is serving right along beside me. Looks like we got our chance to serve together with or without the doctor’s permission. I know that he is in a better place now. In Alma 40:11-12 it reads "Behold, it has been made known unto me by an angel, that the spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, yea, the spirits of all men, whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life. And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow." Grandpa is in a state of happiness and peace. He is now preaching the gospel just as he loved to do here. Except now he can do it without worry, without a troubled heart or doctors and daughters to tell him what to do. He is happy! In Doctrine and Covenants 138 we read about when the Savior went to the spirit world and preached the gospel to the dead. In verse 30 we read what he did. "He organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus the gospel was preached to the dead." Joseph F. Smith in verses 55-57 says “I observed that they were also among the noble and great ones who were chosen in the beginning to be rulers in the Church of God. Even before they were born, they, with many others, received their first lessons in the world of spirits and were prepared to come forth in the due time of the Lord to labor in his vineyard for the salvation of the souls of men. I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead." Grandpa truly was and is a noble and great one and is now a faithful elder continuing his service in preaching the gospel and is living his dream. I love the scripture in 1st Corinthians 15:22 "for as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive."
We will all live again. Thanks to our Savior and his atonement we can return to our Loving Heavenly Father and live with him forever. In order to do so we need to accept the atonement in each and every one of our personal lives. Thanks to our Savior, all that is unfair and hurtful in this life can be made whole if we will accept the Atonement. The power of the Atonement heals all. If you have been offended, forgive your offender! If you offended ask for forgiveness! Let us be a unified family and follow the example of our Savior. Grandpa was a great example of following Christ through loving service. Let us all learn from his example. Let's be a loving eternal family and rally round each other for help. You will be missed Gramps, the reunion will be a happy one. I Love you dearly.
Your best friend and Grandson,
Elder Carson Buxton

No comments:

Post a Comment